View Single Post
Old 2011-05-25, 03:57   Link #41
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Nina and Johan are around 20 so they are quiet young, they study at University (talking about Monster). Later story starts to concentrate more on them than on Dr. Tenma. I am not big fan of Tenma either.

You sure are picky... so basicly you just want a school setting anime? Because if to be truthful, most of anime characters act far more mature than their age allows them to.

Ok, let's try to recommend shows that I didn't like much, maybe they'll be good for your taste:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - shounen series like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tal and etc. It has school setting environment with powers and action. However, actual story starts only at like episode 20, most of the stuff before could be called useless fillers which can be ignored. But it is better to watch first like 10 episodes to get to know characters such as Lambo, I-Pin, Hibari, Hayato and Bianci as well as Yamamoto and Ryuhei together with Kyouko and Haru. Just so you would know who the hell they are.

Shugo Chara - magical girl setting series with school environment

First Squad: The Moment of Truth - takes action in Russia during 2nd world war if I don't mistake. It is just one episode long and main character is young.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! - a school romance comedy.

Pandora Hearts

Romeo x Juliet - I don't think this needs explanation, the only thing you need to know is that anime has interrupted this story differently than the original play

Suzuka - school romance and drama

Some of the shows were actually good in my opinion but I don't consider them something out standing. But maybe some of them will catch your attention.
Katekyo Hitman Reborn had utterly stupid setting and seemed waste of my time. This was couple years ago though and I only watched few episodes from the start. Maybe I'll try it again .. maybe not. I still have over 300 episodes of Bleach to watch <.<.

I'm not interested in literature, or war, so you can rule out few from that list. I'll check out the others, and perhaps continue watching Pandora Hearts (dropped this before..).

As for Shugo Chara, I don't even know what to say. It's shojo .. with lots of pink .. it's so girly .. makes me shiver. I don't really like mahou shojo genre, the only reason I like Nanoha is because it's so different from others and it's '' cool '' rather than '' girly ''.

By the way, you are wrong. I am not looking for school setting animes. It's true that I enjoy those too, but did Scrapped Princess take place in school? No. Did it have young main character? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Kuroshitsuji, perhaps? Nice gothic art, decent story and very interesting characters. Although it does have a reputation of being yaoi bait... I really didn't see it until I heard the fangirls scream (but hey... people pair up all sorts of guys together for no good reason nowadays...)

I see you liked DRRR!!, why not try Baccano!, based on the light novel by the same author? I think I liked the latter better, but the story's even more convoluted than DRRR. Loved how everything tied together at the end.

Darker than Black? It's more Seinen than Shounen, but it's one of my favourite shows. Nice action, soundtrack and epic protagonist. It might not suit your tastes though, some people find the plot too disconnected and the ending unsatisfying, I think.

I've only seen one episode of it so far, but Dennou Coil's very highly rated and seems like great care was taken in its development. Just throwing it out there for you in case you want to check it out too
Kuroshitsuji is shonen-ai to say the least, it should be obvious to anyone. If you're female maybe you don't realise it <.<. I have tried it and needless to say, dropped. I just don't bother adding always something I've dropped to my MAL.

Baccano is highly rated but I found it boring. At the start anyway, when there's the kid and the old dude reading something if I recall correctly. It's just so SLOOOWWWW that I got bored.

Darker than Black .. If I recall correctly, that anime just throws you into a middle of a world and you have no idea what's happening. That's the impression I got anyway and because I had no idea what the anime was about, I didn't watch further than the first episode.

I've seen Dennou Coil and I liked it .. Yet another entry that was missing from my MAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I might have missed them on your MAL list.

(1) Sci-fi anime, but with no mecha.

Dennou Coil

Dennou Coil was praised by many in the anime industry and has gone on to win a few awards since it aired in 2007. It is widely seen as the "spiritual successor" to Serial Experiments Lain from the 1990s.

Time of Eve (six-part ONA, later edited into feature-length movie)

If Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics were incorporated into an anime series, you'd get Time of Eve.

(2) Historical drama
House of Five Leaves

(3) Literary adaptation
Aoi Bungaku (Blue Literature)

As described, a series of six stories based on modern literature classics in Japan. A great of artistic licence was taken with every story, sometimes giving a fresh and innovative take on familiar tales, and on other occasions working not as effectively. All in all, though, an interesting project targeted at mature audiences.

(4) And, if you're in a whimsical mood, and are up for experimental art style, try:
Windy Tales

I was meaning to watch Time of Eve so I guess I will now, though it seems it's only 6x15 minutes .. too short D:.

House of Five Leaves .. I tried watching this when it aired, but I found it boring. The art style didn't bother me though .. I only watched the first episode, so does this actually pick up at some point and we get to the action part? (If there is such in the first place..)

Not sure about Aoi Bungaku either since I said I'm not really into literature. But might check it out, as well as Windy Tales, if I run out of stuff to watch.

Keep the suggestions coming
-----------------------------------

Now .. speaking of mecha. Someone here suggested Kurau Phantom Memory, and said that one episode has mecha. Was he perhaps talking about the first episode? Specifically what I hate about mecha is when it's two robots going at it like in Gundam or something. If it was human vs. robot though, I could tolerate it, since I can treat it just as yet another enemy for the protagonist to kill. I mean I've watched Samurai 7 and I liked it .. In that most of their enemies were robots controlled by humans if I'm not mistaken .. But they took them down, with swords .. lol.

Keeping that in mind, there may be something you might still suggest for me?