View Single Post
Old 2011-12-27, 23:45   Link #9
Vena
Carpe Diem

Most of the mobile platforms (who am I kidding, all of the mobile platforms) are not going to provide you with very good .mkv playback (some of them don't even allow it) and will prefer you play things from .m4a formats. Very few mobile devices have the necessary power, even in tablet form, to provide the output necessary to decode .mkv properly. (For instance, Tegra 2 based tablets/phones will have a hard time decoding 720p 8-bit .mkv without some mucking around and/or luck. The Tegra chipset is, from what I remember, just bad at it, and I doubt that th Tegra 3 has made any significant advances.)

If you want mobile playback in .mkv (because, for some reason, you hate and/or cannot use .m4a formatting) your best bet is to find a device that can run an actual operating system (for instance ubuntu, which has been ported to several mobile devices) on which to install the current nightly build of VLC (as it runs 10 bit just fine) or madVR with MPHT. Unfortunately, though, unless you come from the future I don't think many of these devices will be able to churn out the processor heavy 10-bit encodes... HTC Edge will probably be able to do it.