View Single Post
Old 2009-06-12, 13:18   Link #7323
Outlaender

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
We could. *Cackle*
Spoiler for For length:

Generally, most fics I've read, and the much of the discussions in the Nanoha threads have been view the TSAB as a paramilitary organization- most of the work they're doing (well, that we'Ve learned of from the series and the soundstages is peacekeeping and police work. I believe that in part was part Regius's complaint, that the ground forces, who would be expected to bear the brunt of serious, large scale action, were being marginalized. With all the history of worlds and entire dimensions wrecked by high level magic and technology(weaponry), the fact the TSAB basically was created to save Interdimensional magical civilazation, there would be a distinct reluctance to use such scorched earth tactics as the US miliatary employs in combat. In fact, I could see people advocating a stronger "militarization" of the TSAB being sidelined, or ignored as warmongers.

I don't think the tactical training of police forces, even such as SWAT, can be really compared to combat training, because in one reduction of casualities and damage for all sides (especially "collateral damage") is part of the doctrine, and enforcement (public safety) is the goal. For the military, reduction of casualties and damage is important basically only for ones own side, modified by what ever rules of engagement are in effect. Magic is being used by the TSAB precisely because it can be controlled much more strictly, than, say, demolishing a building with a volley of .50 cal. , or 105mm shells.

Turning the TSAB into the US military, can't really be the goal, because the military makes a poor police force (shoot first, don't ask questions). It would become necessary to make a clear distinction then, between true military units, and "civil defense" (police, distsaster relief, etc), something I doubt the TSAB society is prepared to do, with the cultural trauma of the Belkan War still strong.

That said, I think your theme of the TSAB _needing_ better tactical training a viable one. Tricky though to implement, without making our "White Devil" ace instructor look like an idiot.
Outlaender is offline   Reply With Quote