View Single Post
Old 2011-08-04, 07:04   Link #98
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
By saying "when you do show proper care for what you wish for" in this context, you're implying Madoka was the first person in history to ever show proper care for what she wished for.
I don't see how what I said implies anything of the sort. Of the characters in the show, Madoka is the first one we see to be given the time/opportunity to make a carefully thought out wish. Whether anybody before her was lucky enough to get the same chance is entirely irrelevant.

Quote:
It comes out of nowhere because it revolves around Kyubey saying Madoka has God powers. A character saying someone arbitrary has God powers, when nobody else holds this ability and it's never properly explained (turn back a page if you haven't seen me criticize every aspect of episode 10's conclusions), establishes absolutely nothing.

If this had been a brainless Magical Girl series played straight, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Certain female characters possessing unrivaled magical potential "just because" happens all the time in this genre. However, when something is critically acclaimed as a deep and tightly written deconstruction of Magical Girl stories and tries to get away with the same cheesiness, I'm going to have a field day with it.
Except it wasn't, "Just because." You not being able to buy the explanation they gave isn't the same as there not being an explanation. If you don't like how they explained it, that's perfectly fine; I'm not out to change your opinion, and I doubt I could even if I was trying to do so. But the explanation is there and, as Sol said, it makes sense with the rest of the series.

Anyway, Sol covered everything I didn't. So I'll leave it at this.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote