View Single Post
Old 2012-06-24, 01:56   Link #3315
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post
Whatever your case may be, it's okay. The point is to try and be better. Don't act like a wolf amongst sheep, it's despicable behavior. If you're in a position of power, be the very best you can be, don't become a sock puppet for a political party, do what is right by the people who elected you to office. Do right by your family and your neighbors and don't do it because you learned it was the right thing to do in a book. I have never read the bible. The times it has been quoted at me have been when someone wanted to use their "faith" to take me down a notch.

Using your faith to deny a group of people the same rights as everybody else is wrong. Using your faith to spread fear is wrong. And I am more often than not seeing people using their faith and the imagery and the power it invokes for all the wrong reasons. And I'm not saying that you are doing this yourself, Urzu 7. I hope you realize that.

I understand you aren't saying I do those things.

I got on a rant a couple or few pages back, but my rant was about many Christians not striving for love; to love all people, like they should be striving for. This is what my Mom and Dad taught me. This is what my grandmother taught my Dad and his siblings, and most of his siblings believe in this, too.

But I feel my rant was justified. There are things in the Bible which back that idea up. There are many instances in the New Testament where this kind of love is spoken of and how people should try to love all people. The church I go to is a Catholic church. Catholicism is not perfect, but with this church I've been going to since 2008 with its priest, many times I've seen this priest preach a message of love for all people. Many times I've seen him preach about a God who loves all people and how we should try to love all people. Either he made it the center of a sermon, or he brought it up in sermons centered on other things but reaffirmed it. He is preaching stuff from the Vatican. Yeah, Catholicism is not perfect, but if they so strongly believe in love like that, it can't be all that bad. Yeah, yeah, a lot of Catholic officials aren't going to be fair minded of many people, from people of certain faiths to atheists to LGBT people to pro-choice people and more, but what I've seen is that ultimately, they believe in love. So do many Protestant branches. But many other Protestant branches don't believe in love so much like this, either. Some branches will preach hate. That is not supported by several or many passages in the Bible. Again, a key thing with Christianity is the concept "Hate the sin but love the sinner".