View Single Post
Old 2013-02-10, 03:26   Link #31876
Kealym

Well, the stakes "aren't suited for killing" in the way that, like, a pencil isn't suited for killing. It's almost certainly possible if you put enough effort into it, but it's pretty out-of-the-way, method wise. Freak accidents aside, human skulls are known for being pretty sturdy, so it's just far easier to think they're being shoved into pre-existing wounds (pretty much confirmed as of OC) than being the result of successful normal stabbity action. Also considering that we can reasonably assume, as early as Natsuhi's death in Legend, that the culprit has a gun and is using it. If they're actually paperweights, even moreso, since they probably wouldn't even be particularly sharp at the point ... pretty interesting, though, is that they're always described as being wide, conical, sorta drill-like, and the manga follows that, but in the anime they look much more stab-worthy and sharp.

Anyway, the sectional density stuff is pretty interesting - it's the sort of thing most people are vaguely aware of as a concept (i.e, it's way easier to, say, break the skin with a syringe than with a fork), but I never knew there were formulas for it and everything. I was wondering where you're getting some of your references numbers from, though, since a cursory google search turned up results that were almost entirely about bullets, and I couldn't find anything (well, not anything really quickly...) about comparative destructive ability.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote