Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 18:07   Link #243
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well the anime hasn't done a good job of showing this. Instead it displays Chitose as vain and self centered.
I think that Chihaya' sister, as much as their parents, was meant to outline the outside world, "our" world, more than anything else. I mean, to me Chihaya and Chitose have very similar paths. Both are "skilled" in their own field/world, Chihaya is not the queen, yet, as much as her sister is not a top model/whatever, yet, but both have good chances. But Chitose has always been acknowledged and supported by their parents, instead Chihaya hasn't ever been. Chihaya's family role was intended as worldbuilding. As much as Taichi mother. For that reason they didn't need development. They showed us how unnoticed karuta world is, how far from the society that world is. They showed us which are the standard values of our society. But they are not bad persons. Ultimately they are not ignoring their kin, they are ignoring Karuta. So karuta ignores them! The rule is simple, they need to accept Karuta to become a character.

That makes me think that, on that matter of classes, the author is not trying to criticize some particular social class, if I had to say, she is criticizing our society as a whole, where every main character is a victim. Even Taichi, especially Taichi, the one who was once a liar and a thief, was on the verge to become a bully and later even a womanizer.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2013-01-20 at 18:28.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote