View Single Post
Old 2010-03-18, 04:25   Link #3031
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You forgot the fourth choice - meal planning. Only the biggest of meals takes more than 30 minutes to cook from scratch*, and for things that need to cook longer (like a large roast for example) toss it in the slow cooker and it'll be nice and juicy when you come home.

There's a metric f-ton of books and guides out there on how to create a huge variety of dishes that don't take much preparation or budget, just good planning and organizational skills.

Not enough time is just an excuse for most. They have time, they just don't use it wisely.

*by scratch I mean store bought parts.
*High fives*
- Took the words, right out of my mouth.

Funny how both my parents have worked all their lives, but as kids there was cooked meals in the house.
It is a case of meal planning and cooking up stews or dishes that can be heated by the kids (depending on age) when they get back from school.
Or in my case, I was doing the cooking sometimes when I came home from school (like sticking rice in the rice cooker) or something, but with strict time management and planning, home cooked meals can be eaten, so it is just laziness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
You think everyone has the same priority as you have regarding food? Its just food. Just eat it and be done with it.

And 30 mins is bull. A normal meal for a family will take more than that and theres the cleaning up to do afterwards.
Normal family meal going by what culture?
The response was people claming to have no time, so to make food is impossible and already cut/peeled/fried yada yada packaged meals are needed, which Solace was pointing out that you don't need much time to make something pretty decent.
On a weekday when parents are working, I doubt they'd be time for a big family sitdown (like a Sunday Roast, kinda thing).

Also, if food was just food, then humans wouldn't have various opinions on taste.
Food is one of the very few free pleasures in life that humans have as a species. (sex being another)
Good food, home made food is almost orgasmic in itself, especially when you consume something that tastes to damn good, you smile no?
(Hell, your mouth waters when you know you're about to eat something amazing).
It leaves you wanting more, you feel good and the memories tend to last of a particular dish that you had which you enjoyed greately (or hated, lol)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote