View Single Post
Old 2007-03-19, 15:39   Link #14
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I'm one of those people who do not believe in decimals when giving scores because I simply don't see how .1 of a score could really mean any difference, when my own margin of error is already at least +-.5 points.

Anyway, I chose to give it 9/10 because I cannot call this show perfect really, but there was definitely an enormous wealth of good stuff in its favor. This may sound silly, but I approach judging anime in a style similar to courtroom law. To score 9/10 or above, it must reach "beyond a reasonable doubt" level. A 6/10 would be "preponderance of evidence", a 3/10 would be "probable cause", and a 2/10 would be "reasonable suspicion", etc. Then, like in a court of law, I simply weigh positive and negative arguments against each other. Quantity of such arguments is not what's important; what's important is how compelling each argument is. For example, reusing the snow bunny flashback 3 times in episode 22 was annoying for me, but it's not compelling because it did serve a purpose and only took up a few seconds anyway. A more compelling negative argument would be not explaining the reason behind Nayuki's sleepiness, which I thought was rather important to fleshing out her story.

A 10/10 would be incredibly hard to reach, just like how rare it is in law. While 9/10 would be removal of reasonable doubt (i.e. somewhat compelling evidence against), 10/10 is more like removing all doubt, which is pretty much impossible unless the defense attorney doesn't have a pulse or something.

I felt like the prosecution put up a remarkably strong case, starting out slow but then bringing up some incredibly heavy-hitting witnesses that gripped the courtroom with their testamonies. The closing statement meandered a little at first, but tied it up nicely with excellent use of metaphors to sum up the entire case satisfactorily. The defense has been able to poke a few holes in the case, primarily through throwing off the prosecution's pacing and nitpicking with details, but were unable to come up with enough substantial evidence to stop them from matching their burden of proof.

As the judge, I find the show excellent as charged. ^_^
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote