View Single Post
Old 2008-03-17, 00:53   Link #1
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Darknet Recommendations and Legal Ramifications for ASF

The recent news about ISPs in JP banning users for sharing has got me thinking about darknet P2P technologies.

I've already reviewed Waste P2P, with the aim of secure chat and file transfer for journalists, but that has several issues of it being not real P2P for file transfers and once on the network a user is able to spoof another user. Also an attacker can still can tell who you are talking to unless the network has a node in a neutral area. I didn't try to see if it combined with TOR. All in all, it feels like a very young network and it only scales to about 50 users and file transfer is point to point. Not very good for keeping the anime flowing at all.

Then I had a look at Freenet

http://freenetproject.org/

Now from what I gather an inserter creates a key to the content they wish to share and then once enough people have it and the key it becomes P2P in the same way as BT allowing for highspeed downloads.

I think it works a bit like TOR where everyone donates some space and BW and you actually have no control over what is cached on your PC, but since everything is encrypted you can't actually access the data on it. Which gives the user plausible deniability.

Now here is the legal ramifications bit. From what I can see the main issue of Free net is that you can't search for content, so basically people have lists of content the same way as ASF host the BT information of the anime with links to trackers. Also the same goes for finding friends.

If AS was to start hosting Freenet content keys and anime user friend keys what would the security and legal ramifications be?

I also tried to look for info about Perfect Dark, but didn't really find much apart from that it is Japanese.