View Single Post
Old 2013-02-10, 08:27   Link #316
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What I can tell you, however, is that I very often see the original mangaka/LN author credited in anime threads, and never the anime writer. Okada is about the only exception I can think of.
I'll echo what 4Tran said and say that part of it is other people not getting enough credit.

Take Cross Game,of course it's Adachi's original work that make it great but the anime staff made bold choice like adapting all of vol1 in 1 episode and showing the rest as flasbacks,I also enjoyed the anime original episodes centered around Aoba.

While yes it's tough knowing who does what and I agree that it's very much teamwork (hell even Okada in an interview said that she always considers herself part of a team and said her first goal was pleasing her team mates rather than the general audience) , however the problem I have with crediting studios as a whole is that it can work with people who tend to employ the same people all the time (so yes it works with david production) but doing that with studios such as A-1 is risky business.

I just tend to like following Director/Writers in pair,and they tend to change studios.

A great example of this Ohta/Aoshima pair they've worked on:
-Mininake 1st season at daume
-Mitsudomoe at Bridge
-Yuri Yuri at Dogakobo
-Kotoura san at AIC

As a whole I tend to think anime seems to be more director focused,I know Madhouse (and I figure now MAPPA) is director focused (the founder mentioned it at a Q&A) so for example Chihayafuru can change writers between seasons without it being a big deal or the HxH remake recently changed the writer in charge of the adaptation after 1 year.
Urobuchi mentioned that while he was the original creator of Phantom and writer for Blassreiter they both are the works of their respective directors.

And then sometimes you have the complete opposite where Ikoku Meiro no Croisée is referred to as a Junichi Sato project by the staff at Satelight when he was the writer in charge of the adaptation and not the director.

But to go back to Okada,she's said in interviews that she hands out more detailed scripts than a lot of anime writers,apparently it's expected of episode directors to polish the script but she does this herself so this could be a way for her to have more influence on a project than the average anime writer (though I really am just speculating)

Also,what adaptation does Okada get a lot of credit for apart from Toradora?It's not like the first animes that come to mind when you mention her name are Vampire Knight , Kodomo no Jikan or Venus to Mamoru.