View Single Post
Old 2012-11-22, 09:24   Link #50
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I suspect that most of the people discussing the novels are commenting about the web novels whether they know it or not, because I think I've heard that is the base for the fan translations (and I think very few people here are reading the original language source material). So based on that, I'm not sure if there's a point in splitting it. (If I'm mistaken, though, someone can correct me.)

There may be merit in a thread that compares the web novels to the printed/published novels, although I personally don't know the extent of the changes to be discussed.

Assuming what I said at the top is correct, then perhaps we could change the Novel thread title to clarify this. But as far as I know, both the web novels and printed novels can be discussed in the current novel thread at the moment (unless we change something).
I'm not that much involved in the discussions so it doesn't really matter to me. But the main problem I can see is that pure novel readers like me are getting spoiled by those who have read the web novels (deemed complete) while the official serialization still have 4 or 5 volumes to go. There also appear to be a number of changes or additions in the official serialization. But since I don't read anything not published officially, I can't be sure myself.

The English fan translations are primarily based on the official serialization, not the web novels. However, some people have done the fan translations of unpublished side stories and yet-to-be-published future content from the web novels but the later is far from complete.

This is just my input; only those who are familiar with both can say whether there's any point to having a second thread or not I guess.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote