View Single Post
Old 2010-01-05, 17:55   Link #6562
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Personally, I always saw the ending of Code Geass as bittersweet. A better world has been created, but many people have suffered and died along the way, even to the end. Can't be all that happy when the main character dies, now can it?

Yes, I suppose you could say it's a happy end since the protagonist got what he wanted (Whoopty damn do. Since when does anyone, especially Lelouch, have a clue about what they want?) but if that's what he wanted was to ensure that everyone he loved would be happy and safe, well...even that's not a foolproof. Yes, he created a world that would be a lot more safer for those he loved (through dumb luck as blade pointed out) but who says that Nunnally won't get assassinated or that Kallen won't be shot by a random mugger? It all just ties into Lelouch's ego and the illusion of control that he thinks he has.

Now, this is just my opinion, but the way I see it is you can't give people happiness, they need to seek their own happiness. And you can't ensure that people are going to be safe and alive because existence always comes with the risk of death, no matter what the circumstance. Not that it's a bad thing to want to change the world for the better. I think it's quite admirable to want to change the world so that people, on the whole, can have better lives and not live safer then great. But doing it for just a handful of your loved ones, to ensure that they'll be happy safe (as well as gratifying your own sense of justice to punish yourself) IMO, is doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also, what about the people who have already died? Can't really give a future to them, now can you? Code Geass is not a happy story, so it really shouldn't have a happy ending. The only way I could see Code Geass having a happy ending is if they somehow resurrected everyone who had died (particularly Euphie and Shirley) by going back in time or magically bringing them back to life or something and there be world peace and all that, but I really don't see that happening. The Code Geass ending we got was good I suppose, but they just made it so stupid and convoluted.
actually, my point was that if lelouch's actions ended up CAUSING the deaths of those he left behind, then the ending would go from bittersweet to downer ending
yes, not everything is as great as it could be, and nothing is certain in the future
but there is a world of difference between the uncertainty of what could happen in the future, and the certainty of knowing lelouch had ended up killing the few precious people he had left, as a result of his egocentric bid for social change

the ending, as is, ranges from happy to bittersweet
having lelouch's actions result in the deaths of the very people he was trying to protect, would have made it a downer one