View Single Post
Old 2007-04-13, 09:09   Link #959
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
NO! No Storyboard, No Pacing! Moe Moe, More Important Damnit! *Smashes Table and fork flys across the room* Grah Not Enough Time To Get More Moe In, Need Think Less More Moe.

That aside I'd like to talk about one of the things that bothers me about Kyoto Animation. There seeming need to have every product they do be as emasculating as possible. So if we start with the series that made them huge, Haruhi is loud a loud bossy teenager with breasts that seem to get more shapely with each passing episode, and the men, specifically Kyon the more normal and level headed male and Itsuki who is arguably as level headed are forced to submit to her will. Then we have Yuki who is arguably just as powerful as Haruhi and so yeah, the men are pathetic. Then we move to Kanon where all the girls are like unrealistic angels in terms of their nature and then we have the one male presence in the entire series in Yuuchi who I think has a good shot at winning the annual biggest douche in the universe award. So again Kyoto Animation attempts to show that men suck and we've got men are weak and douches, oh and apparentely always wrong. Then we move on to Lucky Star and I learn from Konata that Foreigners are evil and she proceeds to beat the crap out of a western male. So now we are not only apparently subordinate to women and douches, but now we are evil "Evil Male Gaijin" and need to be taught a lesson by lolis. So my question to Kyoto Animation is.... Why do you hate my demographic so damn much?

I guess then if the trend continues I am to assume that Clannad is about a white American jerkass males relationship with the most moe and angelic looking loli ever and him getting put in his place and pummeled every episode by her to the cheers of the fanbase?
Quote:
Quite possibly the last time that ever happens in a Kyoto Animation work too. There having way too successful a run with the moe gig to return to that anytime soon if ever. Guess Full Metal Panic Film Partners will pass the torch to another animation studio again like they did with Gonzo.

@Wanderingknight: Yeah in the Haruhi books Kyon was much better and I'm sure unvoiced Yuuchi was a fairly nice guy, but Sugita Tomokazu has the uncanny ability to make every character he does come across as a complete and unmitigated jerkoff. I don't know how he does it, but it could serve him really well in the right role. He should be playing villain characters that get under your skin, not a harem guy. That being said, yes recently females have been the lead in most shows recently and the men are now fairly weak. I guess its revenge for all the times the female characters got slapped around in Gundam and 70's/80's mecha anime, which would be a hell of a lot. I think they have about 20 years to make up for now. Better get a helmet guy's its going to be all 12 rounds.
Okay, Kaioshin, you leave me no choice but to go OT and call you out on this one (and yes, you know I mean business when I'm no longer trying to pin a moe-ified suffix on you). But I have to say it; you are just being totally unfair. monir-san stated earlier that he doesn't think you talk out of your ass.....but if what you just said wasn't you talking out of your ass, I don't know what is.

First Specimen of Kaioshin's Lack of Fairness: Kyoto Animation's Kanon (2006)

I'll be honest, Kaioshin, I am absolutely flabbergasted that you can describe the Kanon girls as "unrealistic angels in terms of their nature". Especially when earlier on, you claimed, and I quote you, that "the girls are obnoxiously cute, but it's done naturally".

Which is the truth? Or are you just flip-flopping according to your fancy? Which side of you am I supposed to take seriously, the "tsun-tsun" or the "dere-dere" side? Or is one just as much of a lie as the other?

If I'm not mistaken, you only lasted, at most, five episodes of Kanon (2006) before dropping it because of your paranoia that made you mistakenly believe that the Kanon regulars are going to go HARUHI-MODE on you, right? In other words, your criticism of KyoAni's Yuuichi as a male lead with "a good shot at winning the annual biggest douche in the universe award" is merely an observation based on what you saw of Yuuichi for the first five episodes....which means you never saw the character development of Yuuichi for the remaining 19 episodes, which in other words, means you're making a judgement on KyoAni's Yuuichi on a baseless assumption.

No wonder you're judging KyoAni's Yuuichi with words better suited for Toei's Yuuichi. You don't know jack shit about the guy, and in fact, I'm wondering whether you're judging Toei's Yuuichi instead, and assuming with no basis whatsoever that KyoAni's Yuuichi is cut from the same mould. How do you expect people to take you seriously that way?

....oh, and about that thing about men being always in the wrong? Get used to it, it's a view held by half of the world population.

Second Specimen of Kaioshin's Lack of Fairness: Tomokazu Sugita

Again, you're beating the dead horse about the choice of Sugita as Yuuichi not to your taste. And again, I have to bring up the same point; how many episodes of Kanon did you manage in the end? Five, to put it generously? No wonder all you heard of Sugita's performance as Yuuichi was indeed as you say....except you entirely missed out on the best parts of his voice performance throughout Kanon 2K6.

In other words, you're committing the same mistake again; you're judging Sugita's performance as Yuuichi with words better suited to his performance as Kyon, and in fact, I'm wondering whether you're judging Sugita as Kyon instead, and assuming with no basis whatsoever that it's the same as his performance as Yuuichi. Maybe you just don't like his voice, in which case I'm not going to condemn you for your personal preferences....but what I'm calling you out on, is that you're not giving him a chance in the first place.

I conclude my call-out of you here. I'll be honest with you, Kaioshin; if it was anybody else saying the same things you do, I'll probably have gone HARUHI-MODE on him by now, as you no doubt already know of my reputation here on these boards. But in your case, I'm doing my best to talk to you as a friend here; I feel you deserve as much, since I feel that you make good points at your best times, and you also show signs that your worst times are basically due to you lacking proper judgement at the time due to lack of sleep; something I've been through before myself. Still, my advice is; despite whatever strong opinions you may have about any particular topic, please try to run whatever you wish to say through your head the next time, instead of throwing them out right from your ass. At the rate you're going now, you should understand why you're not making that many friends around here.

Quote:
It's probably because every Kyoto Animation show is an instant hit no matter what it is. They don't really have to do anything to begin with other than have their name on it, kind of like Bones and to a lesser extent Sunrise and and Gainax. The company honestly needs their own forum along with Sunrise, Gainax and BONES. I'm starting to wonder if that's how it should go from here on out. Just have a forum for each big company and empty it out once a year.

Really though its just me and a bunch of the same guys posting over and over again. If you look at it its actually only about 10-15 people posting all that frequently. Thank me for the long ass thread.
And just like Bones, Sunrise and Gainax, KyoAni started from the bottom; would you care to go way back in time and check on the FMP and AIR (TV) threads, at the time when KyoAni were just a new company starting on their first indepedent projects? I'll bet you that there wasn't any "instant hit" talk back then. So you may moan and bitch about KyoAni this, KyoAni that....but the fact is, they earned their reputation just as much as the aforementioned three studios.

So once again, you're being unfair. Chill, please.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote