View Single Post
Old 2011-03-06, 01:44   Link #22200
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Alternatively, both ideas here are true and feed into each other. The series is meta enough to allow that sort of thing.
I basically agree with this idea, and is kind of what I was alluding to with my last couple sentences.

My problem is that saying the things are 'fictional' creates the wrong perspective towards the events, and I believe is missing the essence of what's being shown. But I whole heartedly agree the theories coexist, because being a reality at the level of consciousness is really the same level as imagination, as a feature of consciousness. This idea is even shown by the fact that events can be interpreted (read: recreated) however you want, and Mariage Sorciere showcases this feature of the meta world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
As far as individuals on R-Prime are concerned, they might as well not exist.

As Lambda says to Ange in ep4, it wouldn't matter if everybody came home to "an" Ange, because they didn't come home to her. Rika has a similar revelation in reverse in Higurashi.

Whether they exist as "alternate universes" or "fictions" is pretty much irrelevant. They can influence the "real world" only informationally. We can read about another world, but we can't do anything to that world and it can't do anything to us save by the knowledge of its existence communicated to us; that is, knowing how another reality might play out can influence our behavior, but the people there can't reach out and smack us upside the head. So whether they "really exist" or are "just fictional characters" makes no difference at all.

In the meta-world, they can be whatever they want to be, and ep6 seems to treat them as anything, nothing, and everything all at the same time.

EDIT: On the counterpoint, Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius. Damn you, Borges!
My only problem with your interpretation is that it seems one of the points Ryuukishi is trying to make with the series is the philosophical significance of multiple truths. How later re-interpretations truly do 'change' previous events. This seems to disregard that whole message and subscribe simply to an idea that it doesn't matter and there really was only 'one truth'. This also ties in with the idea of how you perceive an event can be different from someone else, but both perceived events are equally as real to each individual.

You also say it only affects things informationally, but I think that is also disregarding the 'love' side of the story, how these things create happiness and meaning for people like Ange and Maria.

In short, I think your perspective isn't wrong, but rather is limiting the message that Ryuukishi is giving out, emotionally and philosophically.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote