View Single Post
Old 2008-11-17, 10:42   Link #34
Eggs in a Bottle
Ehh I love suits?

Okay I'll do it much shorter this time, to ensure that this won't continue. I don't really like to argue mainly because I'm not too good at it, I'm like Jimmy Onishi scratching my head when I'm writing these posts, and I never know for which side of the argument I'm writing for, and yes I've been doing this for a while now on different forums and this is a very clear habit of mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not that widespread a belief. Note, to me, oblivion is actually more appealing than an afterlife. Anyway, you haven't explained why whatever lies after death should be considered worse than a hopeless, unpleasant life.
Okay you believe in afterlife, you're the people who I call zealots, the perfect war machines, the more you believe in afterlife, the less you fear death. You seem to believe a bit, since oblivion is worse than anything. It is stupid for people to fear torture more than death. This is, when they are young. Old people having terrible diseases and then asking for it, I can understand.

Quote:
And how would her ideals or non-existent babies be served by her getting a heart transplant?
That's because she's too young, her mind has been ehh *screwed* over by the life in the hospital, ever seen the anime Monster? Stuff like that, you know. She seems to believe that she could never ever feel happy again.

Quote:
I feel you've gone off on a tangent. I can't claim to understand what you're talking about, though.
Okay I don't get it either.

Quote:
I also don't have any particular reason to want to die. That's what it comes down to. Reasons to live. Reasons to die. Reasons to fight. She, apparently, lacks reasons to sacrifice her relative freedom from hospitals for a few years of additional life. That doesn't make her mentally defective.
Actually I do not have any other "reason of living" (like you would call it) than finding a girl and making babies. Lots of babies. I do not know why, but it is there. The girl is 13, most likely still in puberty from what I'm seeing and has never touched her sexuality probably. You see here's one main "reason of living" she could have. And since she believes she would still die in just a couple years after the surgery, the less she has this ideal too.

Quote:
You're the one who talked about "influence", as if it was relevant.
You're the one who made the mistake, not me.

Quote:
I also don't have any reason to make an effort of will to end myself. I can easily come up with situations where that'd change. To be suicidal isn't a measure of stupidity, but of unhappiness and hopelessness, which can easily come from outside influence - or factors unrelated to one's intelligence.
Hey, it's all in your head. You could literally live in crap and feel happy, or you could be a typical rich white kid in the suburbs and feel like you are not even living. It's all in your head.

Quote:
And that's relevant, how?
Somebody could have picked the gay thing out so I added that portion.

Quote:
That's your view of your duty to society. Not mine. Unlikely to be hers, too. And even if it was - as I explained, she's not likely to breed. Or make much money, due to child labor laws, low education and low tolerance to stress.
Explained above. Also, this is not your feeling of duty, it IS your duty. Breeding, that is. It is like army, you as a single person don't have to, but somebody else has to take your place then.

Quote:
Then why the hell did you even mention it?
Explained right above.

Quote:
Having a healthy body... Unachievable dreams aren't much justification for living.
It is achievable, they could come up with electronic brains the next day and have your stuff scanned and "save you" to some dirty server computer in California. Nothing is impossible. She could be the one to break the 29 years record, but instead she just wants to give up.

Quote:
Maybe she feels bad because she only has a few years to live and her time scale is different from everyone around her. Most of her agemates take it for granted they'll still be around in ten, in fifty years, and live accordingly. She can't do that.
Thus she feels crappy, leading her to deep depression and unrational thinking.

Quote:
You either run out of money or grow bored with it all in pretty short order.

Tell that to him. 82.

Quote:
Better than being in the hospital.
Do you understand how long she would be at the hospital?

Quote:
And in her perception, a heart transplant wouldn't give her the kind of life worth sacrificing for.
And staying at home for a couple years with a failing heart is your good life? Sure I understand that it is traumatic for her, but hey, it can't be that traumatic, I see a picture of them having a birthday party at the hospital.

Quote:
What the hell makes you think the color of the walls has anything to do with it? What makes you think there's a single hospital on Earth she wouldn't find traumatic? The constant poking and prodding, the pervading sense of death, and smell of disinfectant, the horrible food... And the futility of it all.
Maybe you should visit a private hospital someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Eggs in a Bottle I think your ideas and responses would be valid if someone like me or most other members on this forum began to contemplate suicide. We're young, healthy, have resources, and most likely have at least some level of intelligence - we have a lot going for us, I'd say.
Ledge that is COMPLETELY against my point, I said people who feel inadequate as society members feel bad and don't realize that all the sick feeling is just coming from their feeling of inadequateness (bad looks, stupidity, mental violence from close-by people).

Last edited by Eggs in a Bottle; 2008-11-17 at 10:55.
Eggs in a Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote