Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-29, 12:02   Link #12750
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
2) How is eliminating cars in cities in the EU a fail? Most EU cities are well on their way to pedestrian-friendly streets, towns, cities and enough public transit to cover it. This might happen organically over the same time period even without any mandate. I work my way around Portland and San Francisco without a car... and frankly, the last two times I've been to LA I have not rented a car -- used public transit and a bit of taxi. That's *Los Angeles*.
That should be obvious Vexx.
If the use of automobiles fizzles out in European cities organically/naturally over time through freedom of choice on the part of the people, that's one thing.
But to have government force you to take public transit (and allow government to have total jurisdiction over you) or walk, is a huge retrogressive move back to 19th Century transportation models.

This type of nanny-state crap is anathima to me.
I hold individual freedom in the highest regard, and banning private transportation, which is one of greatest forms of individual freedom, is diametrically opposed to my classical liberal sensibilities.