View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 00:29   Link #2365
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thranduil View Post
I kinda like the anime, but I hate almost every single character. I don't even understand how they did it, there's IMO absolutely no characters who are loveable. All of them are socially awkward to the point of retardedness, total jerks, have serious issues, or just are one of the "bad" or "negative" achetypical characters. Even the protagonist is hard to like, I mean, yeah, he's socially awkward, but he doesn't make much sense. Sometimes, he's a spineless coward while other times he just charges in head first, he hates everybody he doesn't understand, and he believes all the wrong people. Shu seems more like an anti-hero than a protagonist to me.

I'm starting to think that I keep watching it because I don't fully understand it yet, and it just has this "feel" to it that I like, even when I hate all the characters. Will be interesting how things work out, I hope the main characters change a bit over the course of the anime, they all seem really stubborn and quite frankly, stupid.

But, that's just my opinion so far, it will probably change as I watch more episodes in the future.
This is just the latest post that bring this up, but I thought I should quote one to make the point. There seems to be some misunderstanding that social aptitude is somehow related to being brave in combat. Do you think that party girls that know the latest fashion and how to mingle will make for elite soldiers in a battle? Well, there might be some who would, but it's no more likely then the fat guy in the corner. Nor is bravery related to wanting to fight as only the stupid really wants to die.

So it isn't strange that Shu is socially awkward, reluctant to fight while brave when he actually ends up fighting as these things are not related.

It is also amazing how people seems to judge Inori as submissive only based on her appearance and soft voice. I guess it's an indoctrination that anime girls with spunk is supposed to yell or beat up the protagonists with regularity. This episode wasn't even the first time she showed that she could be a stone cold killer when needed. She also showed it the ONE time she actually did as Sho told her, after she took the time to consider it carefully if she should listen to him. My impression is that while she is socially awkward and speaks little so is she also fairly independent and does whatever she thinks is best.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote