View Single Post
Old 2013-09-07, 12:01   Link #470
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I finally got this game for myself, the PS3 Best version. (from CD Japan of all places , they didn't even used to sell games)

The story and characters are great, but one big issue I have with is

THE COMBAT SYSTEM.

It's literally so simple that it's actually stupidly hard. You do the old three-hit combo followed by Arte and you have no naturally dodge ability. (only through skills, and even then it's slow as heck)

Even worse, my characters take so long to recover from using their own attacks that the enemy I just hit recovers and strikes back before my characters' recovery animation is finished, let alone using guard.

I've been playing the battles on normal, and I've been burning through TP, largely beacuse the enemies keep hitting all my characters before they can do anything because of the aforementioned recovery problem; I hit an attack button and the enemy sneaks in a hit before my attack animation starts, so the TP is still used up.
Other enemies go after any mages in my party while I'm struggliing with the other enemies and eat their HP, which forces them to eat their TP to heal, not to mention the damage my frontliners take from being unable to land hits before the enemy. My item supplies also face similar consumption when I use auto-item.
The limited number of actions makes it hard for me to turn any battle into anything more than a hit and hit back pure-brawn slugfest, and boss fights annihilate me almost every time.
Even worse, the limited number of actions I can take in combat gets me stuck between multiple enemies who land hit after hit after hit.

So is there some kind of special trick to using this combat system more effectively?

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-09-07 at 12:12.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote