View Single Post
Old 2008-03-28, 18:47   Link #6
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
This will be my first review for a series within the season time-frame.

Watching Shana II on a week-by-week release basis really got me thinking about the possibilities that occur between each episode. After going through the journey along with my fellow Shana watchers in this thread, it really got me to think critically and analytically about the series as a whole. I enjoyed the arguments and agreements with each and every member in this forum as a whole, and I hope to do it again with other forums within other anime.

The first two episodes produced a great review of Shana I as a whole, incorporating a video game villain in the process. It also gave an initial view of the three primary characters in question, Yuji, Shana, and Kazumi. However, the Fumina Konoe arc gave the wrong impression to the new viewers - slice-of-life does not take the majority of Shana's storyline. Granted, character development was a question - the three primary characters took a step backward, but the secondary characters as well as the eventual Hecate took major steps forward.

The novel adaptation of Pheles, Sabrac, and Margery's past were almost perfect. The arcs were perfectly executed, except for the Pheles arc, which could have done better with the Johan-Pheles relationship. However, overall, the battles themselves were a bit bland. I attributed this to J.C. Staff's monetary issues, which were a problem throughout the whole series.

The ending was perfectly done, all the way to the final moments. I loved the final arc, and the resolve of Yuji fighting together with Shana - that was a perfect ending arc. However, I will have to say that the ending in itself gave way to some disappointment. Knowing the current status of the novels, I have to say it was a dangerous move J.C. Staff made in leaving a 3rd season possibility open. Yes, there is still one arc in particular that needs to be done, but with the novels having no guarantee of being completed, it is likely that J.C. Staff will have to rely on Louise's fanservice to make money with Zero no Tsukaima V before we ever see a Shana III.

Overall, I am giving this series a 9. The story was very original, but could have executed a little better. This anime does has its own flaws, but it can pretty much be rated an A- anime. The mistake I am pointing out here is that ending - they left it much more open than they did season I. Perhaps this is an attempt to make Shana a 72 episode series as a whole, but it hurts season II as a standalone season, therefore it is undeserving of a 10, even if it is Shana.