View Single Post
Old 2010-09-29, 16:51   Link #2186
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelyanoob View Post
I'm saying the movie will end like the series does. You need evidence that they're going to change it. I'm also saying what-you-see-is-what-you-get for the series end. You need evidence that what's seen at series end isn't the real end. How is saying the ending we got is the real one a "very personal" interpretation?
Wait, what? How does the whole earring thing have anything to do with the how the series ended?

And I can at the drop of a hat cite a pretty long list of things which very much indicate that the ending of the show was just where things stopped for us, but that the probably outcome is with near certainty an Sheryl x Alto pairing. In fact, I already did so here.

Quote:
While I agree with Sheryl's arrival stoking her doubts , I think it's also alluding to Alto's pretend obliviousness through the "pretending not to notice" line coinciding with seeing a glimpse of Sheryl. The timing backs this up. The shot of Sheryl's hand opening the door coincides 100% with the line i quoted, lasting about 2 seconds. Then Alto speaks for a further 45 seconds before we see Sheryl again. There is no specific reason Sheryl's hand opening the door had to coincide exactly with the quote.
Unless you take into account that this is exactly the point from which after Sheryl is supposed to hear what Alto says and not what he says before. And I don't think I really disputed that the line of pretending not to notice is not directed at Sheryl. But it is also directed at Ranka, because that is what is beared out by the events in the series. Alto willfully ignored the feelings of both girls, because he didn't wanted to hurt neither of them.

I think the burden of proof is on you to provide evidence that him generally saying he was ignoring things meant specifically that he ignored Sheryls romantic advances because he loves Ranka romantically. Sheryl arriving on the rooftop doesn't mean anything more that she was included in that statement and was supposed to hear and misunderstand his lines which followed after.

Quote:
Failure implies an intent other than that which is superficially portrayed, so Alto could still be intended to have romantic feelings for Ranka, but that was just abysmally portrayed.
The second half of the series has Brera as Ranka's bodyguard, and her under government protection, which reduced Alto's ability to access Ranka whether he want to or not (hence having to sneak in, in ep 17). Awkward moments prove nothing about someones inner feelings.
Well, since this all plays into it being portrayed that Alto was not really interested romantically in Ranka after a certain point, don't expect me to disagree here.

The only point of contention would be that I still kinda think that maybe Ranka was supposed to fail so badly at life. There is still the school of thought that Ranka was supposed to be a deconstruction of moe characters and her subsequent failures at simply conquering everything through being cute was intended from the start.

Since the creators of the show are always being so damned coy about their real intentions and motivations for building the characters and their interactions, we'll probably never know, but it appears to me to be a valid school of thought.

Quote:
My point was that the interpretations I was being given of the scene didn't gel 100%. I have come to a much better understanding of how this scene fits in now, and managed to decipher a cryptic line or two. I'm really not interested in discussing who-loved-who more.
Suit yourself. Since the series ended in a non-resolution, it's for me the only way to get closure. Approximating oneself to near certainty is never as good as a proper ending, but it is satisfying to bludgeon Ranka fans into submission with facts.