View Single Post
Old 2012-10-27, 21:14   Link #1476
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I ran my mind through the content in the first 5 volumes. I don't find any particular aspect of the story which indicates any such foreshadowing. The only stronger one is when Kuroneko drew the manga to tease Kirino. It's hard to take any of the rest seriously. Most of the foreshadowing that could be taken a little more seriously came afterwards, after Kirino came back. At least, that's how I see it.
I suppose that the early volumes are more inference about why Kirino is behaving the way she is, how it's connected to the sorts of games she plays, and how they may be intending to develop her character going forward. I simply could never buy that beneath all Kirino's tsundere bluster was just a pure sibling-like affection and love. Likewise with Kyousuke -- the changes that were occurring in him, and his attitude regarding Kirino (and how she affected his attitudes towards everyone before he knew it) just didn't ring true as "he loves her just because she's his sister". Not to mention, I couldn't really buy Kirino having her own brother play siscon eroge just because she "wanted someone else's opinion", particularly as her deeply-personal way of commemorating their having somewhat reconciled (and then insisting upon whether he played it). Of course there were ways of brushing the whole thing aside as being "hard to take seriously", but where there's smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Another reason why I can see it this way, especially for the first half, is because of reading demographics and no precedence of such a story in light novel literature AFAIK. This is true even for a certain series which has positioned itself as possibly having incestuous romance since volume 1, but which turned out to be not so in the end. So I believe Oreimo is the first to have set such a precedence for a literature work under an LN label.
I'm not well-versed in the whole breadth of Light Novels available, but given that this topic has been explored fairly extensively in both manga and visual novels (for years long preceding OreImo), it would shock me if this particular medium was exempt. Certainly, it wouldn't be because of reading demographics anyway.