Thread: Licensed Mirai Nikki (Series)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-18, 23:21   Link #311
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
On the whole, I thought that Episode 2 was an absolutely awesome thrill-ride.

From the perspective of an anime-only watcher, this episode was loaded with many great plot twists, and I love how this anime doesn't hold back at all in the carnage, destruction, and mayhem departments, making it explosively exciting.

This has truly been the year of the yandere - From (arguably) Akemi Homura to Penguin Drum's Ringo to Kamisama Doll's Mahiru and now to Mirai Nikki's Yuno. Just a lot of fresh, fabulous, fun takes on a character archetype that I usually am not that fond of and which can be extremely annoying when mishandled.

But the yandere has been handled superbly this year, and nowhere is this clearer than in Mirai Nikki with Yuno's highly amusing, yet not overly psycho, character. Her actions make sense within the context of her unflinching dedication/love for Amano, and I like how she's not an across-the-board psycho (so far at least).

Amano himself could be better, and he does detract a tiny little bit from the overall enjoyment level of this anime for me, but I do see how certain, possible themes can be better conveyed by having him be the way he is at this juncture of the narrative.

All-told, I'm going to give Episode 2 a 9/10. Having one of the most stylistically original OPs I've seen in awhile definitely helps here.