View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 20:58   Link #75
Warm Mist

Again, the initial assumption that LOGH deserves more credit than Tari Tari just based on the scope of their story is something I can't agree with. Both are trying to present different themes and the nuances that come with their genre and context make the titles incomparable.

It's just a matter of personal philosophy at this level. I don't put the seriousness or amount of layers of a work in a pedestal. I simply look for that in fiction that aims for that, and don't care for it on fiction that doesn't even try to reach a huge level of complexity.

Another argument I hold is that proper storytelling and good audiovisual execution can generate meaning by themselves. Someone was talking earlier about Jintai's colour palette and how it tied with some ideas the show was forwarding to the audience. That's something achieved by the person(s) who designed and directed the art of the anime, and it managed to become a significant visual symbol because it took into account the sarcastic tone of the show and the setting. I don't see that as part of the "premise", "story" or whatever. It's a decision purely concerned with the storytelling, and it still gives "the story" more substance.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote