View Single Post
Old 2006-12-10, 12:03   Link #463
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... there's some armwaving about the permament contract --- the implication is a duo when the ermine explains it but I'm not sure there's any *restriction* on a "team arrangement". Somehow I don't think we'll get that from Ken though. Just, for god's sake Ken don't go with the "violent girl" again at the very end (purely wishful rooting for Nodoka or ... well, just someone atypically chosen).
Judging from what I can glean from the manga and anime, I believe it leaves room open for possibility of having more than one permanent contract, but it will be very taxing on the magi. Making a contract means you giving some of your magic powers to the partner, and I believe permanent contract would make you give out even more power compared to the provisional contract, thus most magi doesn't generate enough power to substain more than one permanent contract. Negi's father, Nagi, didn't have a partner, and that might have allowed him to use little bit more magic power; not neccessary the best decision, for it seems that, by making a contract and giving up something like 10 ~ 20 % of your magic, you gain an ally whose output might be greater than 50 ~ 100 % of your total magic power. Negi might have enough magic in him to substain multiple permanent contract, but he probably won't do that for moral reasons. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that, when Konoka becomes a better magician, she and Negi will probably cancel their contract so she can become a independent magi, and Konoka will probably make a permanent contract with Setsuna. However, I believe Konoka and Setsuna will each have their own husband, since it was said that Permanent contract is usually, NOT ALWAYS, with member of opposite sex, and many, NOT ALL, ends up getting married to each other.