View Single Post
Old 2008-12-18, 09:30   Link #73
Levy
differently sober

Mh, not that I have much to add to what Eliarine and Nobodyman9 said about the non-kalulu position. I don't like the Lovesick-Karen character development to begin with - there my lack of appreciation for the pairing - but that she was in love with him is more than evident.
I frankly don't care and really can't tell if Lelouch was in love with her or not in the end, judging from the series alone, because I swear in all honesty I've never seen something enlightening in that sense, like I didn't say something totally enlightening for any other girl Lelouch might have loved/feel attracted to inside the show.

If the intention of the writers was to make it obvious in the show, as it seems from this famous side material, OK, fair enough, but I feel like they do not performed it greatly in the show, while other things are blantant. I don't remember all the episodes from s1 in detail, but if I'm not wrong, Suzaku never said out straightforwardly that he loved Euphemia, but that was more than evident in the show.
Lelouch's love for Karen wasn't equally obvious in the show or at least I failed to see it. Call me idiotic or dumb if you want, but I'm not in denial saying that I did not see it happening. ^^;

And for the side materials, yes, the fact that it's hard to have acces to them just complicates things for the worst, and I guess that's the understandable reason why a lot of people were skeptical when the famous booklet was realeased. Thanks to everyone that makes the effort to share the sources with us non-moonspeaking fandom, btw ^^

EDIT@Sky: All you said makes perfect sense, but the kiss scene is not a scene alone. There's just so many things that are going on from.. the 36 previous episodes of Code Geass between Karen and Lelouch (and also the dialogue they have before about him being Zero, his sudden change and everything Karen said) that a viewer is, IMHO, totally justified in not reading Lelouch's reaction like - I love you but I can't tell you now, I'm sorry.
There are reasons for the 'I'm sorry' part, that is the more evident, even without the 'I love you'.

If a 'I love you' parte was there too, okay, I don't like it, but I won't deny its existence.
But I didn't feel like I've missed something important while I watched that scene, therefore, at least for me, the rendition of this 'mutuality of feelings' from the staff was anything but brilliant in the show.

Last edited by Levy; 2008-12-18 at 10:00.