View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 16:09   Link #2940
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
I read Future Tense. Good fic. But back to your point Kaijo I think you show just the reason why anything can fit there. Poorly explain background. Really I can make a character do almost anything I need because the limits of what magic can or can’t accomplish aren’t clear. So really having one character do whatever the plot needs him or her to do is actually a bad thing on my book (Look how Sister Snach just happen to be able to go through walls like Sein. Talking about convenience) and hell, time travel stop to be impossible when the game GoD have characters from different times all come together.
Teleportation magic was clearly established as possible in season 1, although it was called "movement magic." Why, then, was Schach having such an ability somehow "bad" when it had been established before that such things were possible? And throughout StrikerS, they Carim repeatedly had people go with Schach because "she could get them back quickly." It was hinted at before.

You might almost call such physically-defying effects "magic" or something.

I don't want to get into a debate about my fic here, as it isn't the place. But yes, you *can* do almost anything you want, as long as it is set up decently enough. Teana's bullet binds were within the realm of possibility already, and didn't need to be set up. Now, if Yuuno is suddenly an expert with planet-destroying beams, we'll have an issue, but even that can work if it is properly set up. The only questions with my fic, are if I set up the new things I did well enough. And mostly, I think I did. Though I admit there are a few things I would probably edit or change when I go back through it again.

But you kinda hit at another thing with limits... Obviously, even a fic would need limits, because unless you establish them, your readers will question why you aren't doing something with a magic you set up. Even though I used time travel, I was careful to set limits on when and where it could possibly be done. Otherwise, readers would question why time travel hadn't been attempted by anyone in the main cast.

So, new magic is entirely possible, as long as the limits are reasonably designed. It's all a question of "Does it work within the fic?" Or, alternatively, "Is it a possibility that Tsuzuki can use in the future?" About all we can say at the moment, is just what we know can be done, because we have seen them done. So, for me personally, I'd be very hesitant about defining limits; because it is quite likely Tsuzuki will blow past me by introducing something that does ignore a limit, and I wouldn't have seen it coming because my mind was closed to it.

You also have to realize that we are dealing with sci-fi. One particular rule of it is: "no one ever dies in sci fi." Why? Because they can always come back as a clone, or an alternate reality self, or come back to life via some articial means, or it could be revealed that some fancy-schmancy effect was used to make it look like they died. So if you can't even take death for granted (essentially a limit on life itself), then you can't take limits on magic for granted. The only thing that matters is whether it works within the work itself, and whether it comes off as cheap, stupid or a cop-out.