View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 00:56   Link #802
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Being "anti-religion" does not equal "racism". One is an idea, the other a skin pigment.
Actually "racism" is a broader term that does cover anti-religion sentiment (besides anti-cultural sentiment, with which it often overlaps). Yes, anti-religious in general, not simply anti-particular religion. Think again, what about several freethinkers condemning the barbaric practices of "male genital mutilation" and ritual slaughter ? It's definitely racist to consider the very existence that is religion backward. This is out of topic however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I did mean it that way.
I find many of these monarchs to be brash about their reactions, you did not read that wrong at all.
It has nothing to do with their race, it has everything to do with their position and beliefs.
(and political agendas, I'm sure)

So if I say I dislike Christian Politicians such as Santorium for their backward beliefs, does that make me a racist?
Because I do. If that labels me a racist, then so be it.

If it makes you feel any better, I find religious leaders in general to portray the exact same behavior. Religious leaders with political powers, that is.
Morocco and Jordan reacted fairly competent towards Arab Spring because both are headed by prestigious dynasties with long history of political experience, as opposed to Gulf petty fiefdoms which are under the patronage of The Saudi Tsardom, all of them new comers located in historically backwater region. Both cases are shaped by their respective historical discourses, so yeah, sweeping generalization simply never helps in discussion except for laid-back comedic irony.

Religious leaders with political powers are definitely in position to cause problems and even disasters, I agree.