View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 02:30   Link #815
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Ideological narratives should never dictate academic understanding.
Not quite sure where you'd get the impression that I would allow otherwise. I'm not writing Marxist histories of the world here or anything.

Quote:
Kings and Queens can have no temporal power and still function in some way or another like in UK, Japan, Scandinavia, and many other living examples accross the world.
As aohige mentioned, we're not talking about constitutional monarchies where the powerless, symbolic head of state just happens to be monarchs. They can do whatever they want, I'm not so radical as to demand their heads, even if they're rich playboys and unfaithful to their girlfriends or something. I'm not buying into the glamour either, but eh live and let live.

Monarchs with power, however, better behave. Just the same as I would call for the deposition of Gaddafi or Assad or diss the PRC, having a crown doesn't matter one bit to me if you're an asshole and an oppressor.

Quote:
But I'm against Turkish and French laicitism because non-interference between state and religion should be mutual, instead one sided.
I'm not quite as radical as the Kemalists, but sometimes I see their point. I mean, here in the United States [FINALLY BACK ON TOPIC, sorry mods ], despite being quite fully assimilated and not feeling particularly oppressed, it grates on me sometimes with how many "God's" there are in our politics. Politicians pay lip service to God because to many of our electorate, to not do so is a suicidal omission.

When it's just lip service alone I don't mind too much, but this 2012 election, despite the paramount importance of the economy issue and the urgency of the international situation, sometimes feel like God vs. Laicité with the battles over many social issues, and I know where I stand.

As an aside, I never ever did truly swear the Oath of Allegiance in its entirety, because of an annoying little phrase some McCarthyists put in there. Not that I don't like the USA, it's quite a charming place and closest I've got to a home, but it's quite convenient sometimes to be as conditionally patriotic as I want.