View Single Post
Old 2013-03-24, 01:04   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
I guess my real main question is whether there is a big performance difference between the iCore CPU vs Intel Core 2 and DDR2 vs. DDR3. And if there is a big difference, is there some way of making my current motherboard compatible with the newer technology?

Also, how do I make PSCX emulation not run like anus? Some games have audio slowdown that make it really unpleasant to play (Gitaroo Man for example)
When it comes to emulation, CPU power > GPU power. Not that the GPU isn't important, it is, but emulation requires that a lot of functions need to be done in software first before it is passed through the GPU for enhancements (like anti-aliasing).

With your system specs, the GTX 460 isn't your biggest bottleneck (even though it is an aging card, it's still very strong), it's your board, processor, and ram. An i series GPU (i5 or i7 preferably) and DDR3 will offer a nice boost. I went with an i5 due to price versus performance, but the i7 is better in terms of multitasking and brute speed. The price will be much higher than an i5 however.

Simply upgrading the board to newer components will give you a noticeable speed increase. Once you've done that, wait for the higher end cards to drop a bit and pick one up when it becomes mid-range, and you'll be set in terms of PC gaming for quite a while.