Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-02, 19:10   Link #2061
Conri

I hope I didn't come across as anti-SP. I don't draw fanart or make GIFs or intend to buy a DVD of a series that I didn't enjoy. I'd defend liking it, if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka
I wouldn't make comparisons with Haibane Renmei. To put it as Kaoru Chujo did (in his case about SP, not HR): "to compare it with Simoun is laughable", albeit with the reasons reversed.
On comparing Strawberry Panic to Simoun to Haibane Renmei: I don't think comparing any two shows is laughable. Really, every show has at least one thing in common: the desire to hold the viewers attention. For the latter two, I think Simoun would have suffered from being confined to the earthly tones of Haibane Renmei. The vibrancy mixed with the serious subjects created a unique atmosphere for me. The similarities have nothing to do with aesthetics and everything to do with themes. For better or worse, we lose things...we have to let them go and move on. It is a mistake if we try to hold on, striving to achieve the impossible task of staying the same.

Quote:
And indeed, if you do swallow the bait, you will very likely end up defending Simoun, because you will have invested yourself into sorting out its mixed bag. Me, I don't like to be manipulated like that.
Welcome to the world of fiction--manipulation. Anyway, Simoun worked for me because characters are my number one priority in fiction. The plot that initially seemed to be overwhelmingly complex, was merely a backdrop. I may have started out thinking I was holding an extremely "mixed" bag, but that's not what I ended up with.

Quote:
For all the supposedly "overt yuri" in SP, I actually found it a lot harder to ignore the sexual aspect in Simoun than in SP. The uniforms in SP are pretty subdued, whereas in Simoun the sibyllas' clothing is anything but.
Apparently some of you were able to ignore all that
Sexualization in Strawberry Panic and Simoun:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Well, I was afraid that Aaeru was going to be like Arika from Mai-Otome (a character whom I hate with a passion) and she ended as one of my favourite anime characters ever so I guess she has suprised pleasantly quite a lot of viewers.
Yes! Arika is a much better example than the character that first sprung to mind (I-learned-Bankai-in-three-days Ichigo). As to Amuria, I didn't see enough of her to make any judgements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowo
Lol, this week's Simoun radio is hilarious, check it out if you can understand Japanese.
Guest this week was
:drumroll:

Director Nishimura Junji!
Hehe, always nice to hear from people who don't take themselves so seriously.
======

Simon: Thank you for the info; I already see some interesting auctions on YJ.
===========

fignae: I was wondering what that disc was about since I keep seeing it pop up...
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote