View Single Post
Old 2013-09-04, 20:09   Link #491
Fragment_Searcher

Quote:
Well, yeah -- that's pretty consistent with Kirino's attitude all along. Like I said, she'd had many years to come to terms with the fact that her feelings were probably doomed. Kyousuke is the only one who can prove her wrong, and he'd have to take the initiative. I'd say that's indeed what that closing scene was trying to show.
That’s true. But considering how desperate Kirino was when she broke down after the Manami fight, and how calm she was during and after the wedding, and then how happy she seemed in the epilogue… I wouldn’t be surprised if the way he so thoroughly burned all bridges, his reluctance to reveal the truth about their limited relationship to Manami, as well as his speech, all of that considerably weakened her resolve to really go through with the promise, and made her expect at some level that he would keep trying to find ways to make their forbidden love work (makasero!)… Regardless of how many agreements and promises based on common sense they made in an attempt to stop and “go back to normal siblings”.

So, basically, it could be that her breaking down wasn’t just because of her guilt then, it may also have been because she was losing confidence that she really could go through with it after all. But giving in before the promise would be stupid since it was pretty much their last chance to be lovers as openly as they could and mostly guilt free. Not to mention Kirino was never good at admitting defeat anyways, lol. And then, her insisting with the ring like that was her indirect way of telling Kyousuke that maybe revisiting the terms of their promise wouldn’t be such a bad idea (The oreimo song suki nandamon comes to mind).

But Kyousuke, who already proved how much he improved at understanding Kirino’s secret tsundere language in the last few episodes, immediately, got her message. Then, he responded with a counter attack that was probably way beyond Kirino’s expectations, which forced her to deal with the situation more directly and immediately by declaring a new series of Jinseisoudan, which as has been said; was both how their first mutual secret and first (love) story started, as well the beginning of yet another story.

Well, at least this is more or less the way I read/watched it. Though to be fair, I mostly just watched the anime, then read the wedding scene and the epilogue after it ended... I probably wouldn’t have a lot of confidence in any interpretation I made if I had only stuck to the anime, that's for sure.

PS. Relentlessflame, what anime does your avatar come from? I’m guessing Shakugan no Shana?