View Single Post
Old 2014-05-23, 02:42   Link #93
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But then again, most of his friends only want to take advantage of being with someone like him, which really takes away the sincerity of friendship in the series. As you said, Tatsuya's friends actually belong to other factions. 1 and 2 aren't really de-suifiers. For example, Kirito also has moments where he's not nice to others, but he's still regarded as a Stu. Especially for #2, any author worth a read would use a main character's superior intellect as a source of conflict with his peers. That doesn't mean that him having a superior intellect is completely justified.
Marcus, Sue discussions...are silly. It'll go nowhere. Because the term is way to vague to describe and too broad that it can mean anyone. Because none of us are EVER able to completely agree on what a Sue actually means. But going with the traditional definition of Sue...Tatsuya simply doesn't fit.

But let's go with what you said about 1 and 2.

The difference is this:

1) Kirito's jerk moments are portrayed as just that--he's a bit of jerk because he's a socially awkward boy who has trouble interacting with people sometimes. His heart is still in the right place, and in the end he still does the right thing. Tatsuya? When he acts like a jerk, it's portrayed as a genuinely horrible thing to do. The way he kills surrendering enemies, engages in manipulation, and his genuine lack of concern for anyone who has nothing to do with himself or his sister are terrible traits for a human being. Kirito was a "Hero". Tatsuya is a "Demon King".

2) Nope. I'm talking about characters who are portrayed as smart and competent in their own right. Like Shizuku's mom for instance, she's got some pretty legit reasons for not liking Tatsuya, and other characters have also expressed a reason for why though they might respect him for his abilities, they don't really like him because he strikes them wrong. I'm not talking about his intelligence making people feel jealous of him, I'm talking about people in the story who stated good reasons why they dislike Tatsuya.

Last edited by Lucarion; 2014-05-23 at 02:59.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote