View Single Post
Old 2009-07-31, 20:40   Link #2595
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendokusa View Post
Here,ask how to translate sentence or word.
Why don't you do only simple question?
In 上級's thread ,ask question deeper than it.
how about this?
That's fine.
If you want to have an idea of what this thread has been like, all you have to do is have a look quickly at the 125 pages (not all, but check a few)
For example:
Feburary 2009
You can explain something in Japanese, you can break down the grammar here too, that's fine.
However if someone wants to investigate more into the history and linguistics, then the 上級 is fine; you can write pages and pages of Japanese, and it doesn't matter. Those who want to learn more can read there.
Those who want a light answer, can read in here.
It's not so much 'how do I break the levels', it was just the content.

Me personally, what I didn't like as tempting as it is sometimes, was not only the questions and answers, but comments as well being purely in Japanese. Maybe perhaps if the thread kinda took a tone like that from the start, it wouldn't bug me, but as someone mentioned earlier, you see walls and walls of kanji for a 'learning thread' (typically beginners or quick questions) and it can be totally off putting or intimidating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai
Mystiqueさん

でも、人が日本語で話すことができるのがこのスレッドだけです。英語で話す気分があったら、他 のスレッドが たくさんあります。それはただの私見です。悪く思わないでね。
実にこのスレッドの最後のページは楽しそうです。日本語のメッセージがいっぱいありますからね 。意味を取る ためには頭を使わないとダメです。英語の翻訳があったら、そんなに面白くなかったと思います。
でも、皆さん、質問があったら、いつでもどうぞ聞いてください。できるだけで答えてみます。

日本語で自然にスラスラと話せるのは難題ですね。
上手になるために教科書の練習とか会話とかするしかないです。
英語の説明は練習ほどそんなに役に立たないと思います。

ところで、ローマ字が大嫌い。
日本語を勉強すると、仮名と漢字を習わなきゃいけない。
漢字の読み書きに使えば、むしろ日本語の言い回しと単語の数を増やした方がいいです。
^
That for example, since it's personally directed at me, you could have written on my profile, or since this is a learning thread, you could have romanised it, or translated it.
To answer you main points though...
1: This thread and the upper level thread are two places you can write in Japanese without admins getting on your back.
However there is a 'learning Japanese' social group and there are your private walls. I'm sure you can communicate in Japanese as much as you like without any problems.

2: We're all from all over the world, English is an international form of communication, even for learning other languages. Like I said earlier, read the earlier pages of this thread to get an idea of how Japanese and english has been used to teach and explain.

3: You think the last few pages of this thread cause it's purely been in Japanese are fun cause you then have to read, whereas I don't, we beg to differ.
To translate is a true form of learning and an extreme use of mental concentration, trust me as someone who's using translation as a way to learn. It also takes time and effort on your end to interpret into english for others and perhaps it's also courtesy too.
Again while it's good to dive into Japanese only for reading and writing practice, then if that's your cup of tea and the social groups or 上級 thread may not be enough, shouldn't you be looking to joining jp only forums that teach to foreigners too?

4. Agreed on the note that romaji sucks, lol.
Then again there are people who are serious about learning Japanese in here, there are some who are just beginning.
There have been many many who read the english and see our explanations and get inspired to learn and use this thread for advice for textbooks, classes, schemes, and so on.
It's not just purely a Q&A session, and I see it a shame to lose that inspiration from someone with zero knowledge or reading skill cause it's all in paragraphs of kana.

If you want to practice reading and writing, by all means use your profile walls and knock yourselves out, by then you can have private convos, ask anything you like and improve. Some may have seen me and Rio shooting back and forth in kana/kanji behind the scenes, but that doesn't mean I'd go into kana if I was replying to a post of hers in this thread.

Since this is open to the entire board on the general chat section, it was kinda nice to have the main form of communication as english and use Japanese for examples or breaking down rules or patterns.
At least that way, anyone from any level can read it, understand it and perhaps enjoy it.
That was the atmosphere I felt with the thread earlier, hence to see it derail from it kinda bugged me and I made a note a few days ago.
I may feel alone in it, though I guess that's just the way I answer questions and explain things to people, it's usually through interpretation and translation of both languages.

Now gonna leave it back to mendokusa's amazing help to you all as well as the rest of the members. Ive entered a stage in my life where sadly I cannot lurk around Asuki all day and answer stuff like I have been able to (for most threads in GC lately), so anyone who has time to offer and help, is appreciated ^^

以上です.
Will stop here on this matter now.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-07-31 at 21:03.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote