View Single Post
Old 2011-02-22, 19:41   Link #682
SagaraSouske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
What is supposed to be destroyed by the MG system? Except witches and familiars.
MG themselves.

Quote:
Kyubei isn't responsible for said situations. Not for the accident, not for Kamijou's broken arm, not for Kyouko's family's misfortune. Also, they very well have a choice. And in each case, it was initially wiser to go for the wish. Mami could continue living. Kyouko's family achieved reputation and didn't have to starve any longer. Kamijou's hand was healed. Those are all good things. Kyubei just does what he does. Try making a contract with girls who can see him and who may have something they want changed. Whether the later happenings (Mami's death, Kyouko's familiy's downfall, Hitomi's revelation) are coincidences we don't know, but they're part of the tragedies at any rate which aren't directly linked to the MG system or the wish. In these cases, the girls mainly have a personal responsibility (and they're probably also rather unlucky but that's life for you).
QB isn't responsible for the problems in the girl's lives. He is however responsible for taking advantage of the situation and present just enough information (the good side) of the contract to entice them into becoming a MG without giving them the down side. He is also responsible to manipulate events that occurred that puts the girls in a position that left them between a bad choice and a worse choice and making it seems like contracting with him is the better one of the two.

Each circumstance of the MG when they contracted is already posted in details by several others and the arguments back and forth already made. In each case, an illusion of choice was offered but whether it is through withholding information (all, but Mami specifically), taking advantage of emotional vulnerability (Kyoko, Sayaka), creating circumstances that forces a choice to be made despite being reluctant (Madoka), the girls are being manipulated to contract with QB, except in Madoka's case Homura intervened.

Quote:
So even if you think it can't be justified (risking deaths should never be, agreed), what is your alternative solution? And if it's about statistics: there's 1~2 MGs per territory. But a random number of witches per territory, and each one has the potential to have several people killed. Well, damn. So I agree that it's not as big a threat as some make it out to be, but it is one anyway. And we don't know another solution besides having MGs fight them! The girls who have potential to become MG are left with a yes or no choice. But at least they have one. If they go for the offer without even knowing that they have to fight witches which are bound to be dangerous one way or another, then you can't blame everything on Kyubei either.
I don't know what the alternative solution would be. But MG system isn't a good solution.

And I am not blaming everything on QB, well not yet anyways unless it turns out the whole system was just created to farm grief seed as several people have speculated. I am just saying he needs to be accountable for his actions. Those actions are essentially destroying lives of many young girls.

Quote:
I think it's not justified. But better have 1000 MGs fight for 10000 people than have 0 MGs and eventually 11000 people NOT saved. Even the characters have different views on this matter. Madoka says it's unfair, Homura says it's not even enough of a prize. But what can you do? And it's not like MGs are existances that purely are victims who cannot do much. They do at least receive superhuman abilities as a great back up and possibly passive attributes.
I am not saying to leave witches to do their damage. I am just pointing out MG system is not a justifiable means to an end.