View Single Post
Old 2008-01-18, 14:01   Link #36
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

I'm late to the party.
I finally got my copy and finished it.
Before I go on, I’ll apologize for my poor English.
I have a long post and I’ll try to make it as comprehensible as possible. ^^;

First impression.
一流の執事はすごいね。 源治さん渋スギ

Overall impression.
Even though I don't know what the answer is, but Umineko doesn't seem as confusing or as difficult as Higurashi (not claiming the mystery itself is easy). It's enjoyable in its own right, but since it lacks the OMG WTF shock factor, it isn't as engulfing as a story as Higurashi, at least imo.

Battler vs Beatrice sideline commentary.
It’s interesting. I like their interaction and their belittling snipes they make towards each other. I feel the red text is a bit cheating in a way. Ryukishi can describe it better, but it just seem like an opt out. It saves a lot of writing I guess… but, it just doesn’t feel right.
But I love how Battler says 俺は人間を信じてるからだッ!! and continues to fight for this logic, although I think Battler is wrong in that regard but it was awesome.

Just a random thought about that date: I wonder if Ryuukishi chose the 4th and 5th as 死 and 後 and to continue off the number theme as with Miyo and Hifumi? I can’t think of any significance with the date itself, but it’s interesting that Ryukishi chose to emphasize Halloween at such an early part of the month. Halloween that year was a Friday so I think he could have pulled off the same story using that date instead. I’m probably thinking too much into the date.

Spoiler: