View Single Post
Old 2013-02-24, 22:22   Link #73
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Because the original story was based on Basch, until they decided their fans wouldn't be able to relate to a middle aged man as the main character, and then they made Vaan and shoehorned him into the story, and removed all aspects from the Basch-centric plot they originally were going with, which is why Vaan is the only FF protagonist ever with zero bearing on the story.
This is untrue, by the way.
Vaan was intended to be the player character from early on in development, but he certainly isn't the main character even in the final game. Basch and Ashe share that role.
XII is admittedly unfinished and I can understand why some dislike it as the story is the opposite of character-focused, but please stop spreading this bullshit about "what could have been".
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
That said, I also can't fathom how it took SE so long to pump out 13, which probably must have earned a record for most time and money spent for least gaming return.
From what I've heard half the people working on it had no idea what they were supposed to be doing, so the art team just churned out material for literally years, much of which was never used.
Square-Enix adopting Western production techniques and standards is a good thing, if development is always this much of a clusterfuck.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote