Thread: Licensed Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (BONES)
View Single Post
Old 2009-07-19, 22:22   Link #302
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I had a much more positive reaction to this episode, largely I suspect because Mirai wasn't able to whiine so consistently through it.

I did find the general calm of the people coming out of the building rather impalusible, though. Mirai wasn't the only person to lose track of a family member I'm sure. Where were the distraught parents, siblings and friends of those other people? I'm not looking for scenes of looting, but the surrounding populace seemed remarkably sedate. As one poster earlier suggested, isn't it a bit surprising that no one asked to share their cake? Not searching for bottled water and snack foods when they were in that store seemed a bit implausible as well. I reached the same conclusion Kaoru Chujo did about Japanese behavior, though I defer to those with empirical knowledge of the Japanese and their culture.

Still, I'm in for a few more episodes. Has the character model for Mari become something of a meme in recent anime? She certainly looks strikingly like Balsa. Is this now the "standard" 30-ish female model?
If she'S the new standard, I'm not complaining.

Actually, the behavior of the survivors is quite realistic, especially considering we're talking about Japan here. People tend to go in shock and wait for the authorities to help them out. You don't see people gathering resources because they don't believe they need them at that point.

The looting and panic comes when it becomes obvious the authorities are nowhere to be found. Think Katrina.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote