Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-30, 18:56   Link #15269
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Spoiler for Length:
I think the reason you hold your views are correct, but what you aim at is wrong. I think that government funding of pensions or healthcare with no preconditions (bar citizenship), can actually free you. Universal Healthcare is the best example. With Universal Healthcare you don't need to worry about your healthcare at all. You don't need to be imprisoned by decisions you may (or may not) have made 10 years before. You don't need to worry about whether your health insurance company will uphold it's end of the bargain. You just walk into a hospital/GP and make an appointment, and later you get it at a low (or minimal) fee. That's it, no paperwork involved. You're free to move anywhere, do whatever you want, safe in the knowledge that you don't need to worry about it. That's independence. Furthermore it's a more efficient way to fund and organise it, and like free education it benefits everyone for healthcare to avalaible to all and high quality. It improves productivity and quality of life. Furthermore in our lifetimes we'll likely all end out spending more or less the same amount on healthcare. Why not allow you to more easily anticipate that spending by paying out of tax? The main counter-argument there is that some may jeopardise their health with bad habits, well perhaps they should have to pay a tax to compensate the health service then...

It gives you more control of your life as it frees you from corporate interests defining what service YOU get. Instead the healthcare establishment (Doctors) decide what is feasible to provide for all. They know what is best for your health. If you want you can still go outside the system and buy quack medecines, but you're only harming yourself.

On taxes, the main issue is that the wealthy pay less in tax then us, the working class. Why should we be protecting their tax dodging? Let them pay tax like the rest of us. It's not about stealing from the rich, it's about getting them to pay their fair share to support the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Used to be. The Tea Party was made up of libertarians and anarcho-capitalists who were all about a small, unintrusive government that meddled in only the aspects of life that it needed to--protecting individual rights, maintaining the military, maintaining the judiciary, things of that nature.

I can respect libertarians, they have a lot of good ideas. I can even respect anarcho-capitalists a bit, even though they live in a hopeless dreamworld. However, the Tea Party's original ideology was thoroughly hijacked and destroyed by a Glenn Beck/Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachmann breed of Faux News zombies who are basically Republicans who are too right-wing for the GOP.

Libertarians and anyone who believes in smaller, less-intrusive government would never advocate banning gay marriage. Instead, they'd advocate removing all the legal aspects of marriage altogether. Libertarians would never shill for big corporations, because one of the central tenants of libertarianism is that only individuals have rights--organizations do not.

The current Tea Party is not the original Tea Party. Instead, they are a bunch of soulless old losers who can't get over the fact that it's not 1954 anymore.
Quite right. I don't understand why Tea Partiers are coming out against Gay Marriage and Abortion. Shouldn't those be the citizens choice? Why should you have to live by state enforced morality? You should be free to define your own morality.