View Single Post
Old 2012-02-16, 02:40   Link #176
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Why, when Izumi is discussing why she thinks Kouichi is not the Another (before he joined the class, after she visited him in the hospital), does she list "He doesn't have siblings" as a reason for him to be a real person?
Remember that as far as we have been informed that the prefix for being an Another you have to have died in connection to the events of a "year where it happens" and to die in such a year you have to have at least a 2nd grade relationship to somebody associated with class 3-3.
This is apparently what Izumi bases her countermeassures upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Reading that again,maybe you're right but that would be some REALLY awkward phrasing.

Maybe haguruma (or anyone fluent in japanese) can help us out and tell us if it's just awkwardness that comes from the translation.
It's not really awkward phrasing it's more or less that there is a more elaborate background than what we were given in the anime this episode.
I'm kinda reluctant to comment on that during THIS episode because information can still be given at another point and maybe the anime is actually planing to include this at a later point to keep some more suspense going...or maybe it's going to drop it like Kouichi's experience with mobbing. It's not really a spoiler to the core story so I am planning on translating excerpts from the conversation with Chibiki from the novel (which is about 30 pages) and make it accessible as a reference, but I'll only post it here and right now if people want to (and even if anyway it will only be in spoilers).