View Single Post
Old 2013-04-06, 05:41   Link #12
Traece
:cool:

As I've apparently derailed this topic in a way that we're not supposed to, I'm going to attempt to steer it back on course a bit.

After thinking about this subject a bit more (and gaining some proper context), it seems to me like the "Uncanny Valley" is really hard to properly quantify. I feel like every visual example from anime that I can think of lends itself more to being a CGI abomination, rather than being in that niche between inhuman, and perfectly human. Part of the reason I say this is because when it comes to video games, this tends to not show up very often. You either have ultra-realistic characters, or characters who just aren't. It's very rare in that industry to see characters fall into this niche, and L.A. Noire is the only example I can really think of as the techniques they used meant their characters had very good facial animation while the rest of the character had less quality (but the average player didn't really notice, and I didn't even catch that myself).

Reiterating slightly, that CGI appearance tends to be an issue for anime. I don't think that that CGI appearance is necessarily to blame however. As much as I hate to draw on Aku no Hana once more, I think that people would be far more receptive to the appearance of the show if the characters weren't so poorly proportioned and lacking in texture.

I guess the only way I feel the "Uncanny Valley" exists is when you're attempting to portray a human that's just not quite right (as with the Psycho-Pass cyborg mentioned in my previous post). Beyond cases like that (which, afaik, are far more intentional than poor design choice), I don't feel that the "Uncanny Valley" really exists for this medium.

Honestly, I think this applies more to real life with attempts to create androids that are very shiny, and plasticized, and lacking real texture to their features. In fact, I think that's mainly where you get the effect from, in terms of visual appearance. This goes great with my CGI mention, because CGI objects tend to lack that texture (and be strangely 3D looking in a 2D world).