View Single Post
Old 2009-02-15, 10:20   Link #59
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Yuri because of the fact that I am straight and usually two girls are very entertaining to watch. I do have a problem with Yaoi itself, it's just it comes with negative stereotype.

The "Gay Male" on television is usually depicted having an unsatiable sexual appetite that works for just about anyone who passes him by. And it much less settling for men because it's only there to fill in pleasure or primal needs. It feels like I rarely watch any shows with a male/male relationship and they have a deep, long-lasting history because of their common traits or activities. It's always sex, sex, sex.

While with Lesbians on the other hand, I've seen more series where there's just more of a romantic feel. It feels pure and NEVER shallow. So in a way, I also tend to yuri because it has more of a relaxed feel. Like, they would be a couple that you would have no problem hanging out with because they don't have a sudden urge to have sex on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
In Japan, it is mostly considered that both appeal to females. Polls have shown that men don't like uri because they like a male lead who they can relate to. Yaoi appeals to most females as well as gay men, whereas yuri only really appeals to gay females. Because the audience is so small, there is very very little yuri while there is a shittonfuckassload of yaoi.
I find that...rather odd just because of the males who are usually in those situations. They are either dramatic, over-the-top main characters with amazing talent or they are the loser-like everyman who you just don't care about. It doesn't make sense why you would want to follow them because the girls in those series tend to be more dynamic and interesting. Especially with the later.

In a harem series...why do you suppose only the women of the series appear on promotional posters and scans? Why does the show seem to focus more on the eccentricities on the girls more than the male lead himself? It's like...why do we need a man in that equation in the first place?