View Single Post
Old 2011-04-29, 11:45   Link #24
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
And I never said that my view point was the only right one. Can you come up with where I said it, and counter arguments to my arguments? Or can we agree to disagree? Because I can certainly not speak for anyone else but myself.
Pretty much your entire post below. You are implementing YOUR values onto the society much like the examples of the children i have given, most clearly on the beating the child's hand example which would have some people screaming ABUSE!

Quote:
And just because something is cultural, traditional and "it's the way it is here" doesn't mean that it can't be abusive and damaging. I wont quietly step aside on issues like rape culture and female genital mutilation just because it's traditional in some country. Nor do I agree with a cultural depiction that tries to box in women as being weak, needy and doesn't understand fighting even if it's fighting to protect other people, just because that is the traditional view of women in that country. snip
Quote:
Because I can certainly not speak for anyone else but myself.
Also about the above. You can speak for yourself, thats fine. That does not change the fact that this is stamping external values (aka yours) into a culture of which you are not a participant unless you're japanese, in which case i label this as in need of more action, less empty talk.

If said japanese feminists are really a large group then change will come because the society itself dictates it. If said japanese feminists are a small group then obviously society in general has not accepted the message and will not accept that message until the majority of the society as a whole does so.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote