View Single Post
Old 2007-02-02, 20:24   Link #51
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

The previous episode was a trip into the deepest pits of hell. This episode, on the other hand, was a well-balanced rollercoaster ride; the highs, and the lows, came at exactly the right times.

Let's start with the lighter moments first. Immediately right after the OP, Shiori-chan made me chuckle when I saw that apparently, she had taken some tips from Ayu-chan on how to greet someone in the morning.

And then, there was the initial part of the birthday party. Certainly, the fact that Yuuichi is becoming more and more of a pimp every day certainly isn't lost on his closest male pal. It really is great to see Kitagawa being more present in not only the big, but also the smaller details of life as well. Makes him seem more like a person than usual; I'm starting to think I really would have liked it if KyoAni gave Kitagawa more chances to play off Yuuichi.

(Notice when Kitagawa goes "Shiori-chan nee, Minase nee, eto.....Tsukimiya Ayu-chan, dake?", Shiori was blushing. Now if they were ALL blushing.... )

There were some things I never noticed about Kitagawa though; apparently he must have been a trained wrestler to be able to put Yuuichi in a headlock so easily like that. And after that, I was REALLY surprised by him! I mean, from 10:57-10:58....

"Kitagawa-kun, kakoii!"

Looks like Kitagawa isn't quite as luckless with the girls as we thought, eh? And that dance.......

Ice cream birthday cake: $<insert price here>
Elvis suit: $<insert price here>
Bill for birthday paraphernalia: $<insert price here>
Kaori going when Kitagawa asks her to dance: PRICELESS.

Okay, now on to the graver portion.

KyoAni's version of Shiori's story differed a lot from the game transcript I had read of the game itself......but you know what? I think that KyoAni may have just managed to tell the story of Kanon better than even KEY itself did, once again. The organizing of the birthday party reflected well on the character of Yuuichi, who was shown to be someone with a firm grasp of the situation; it also reflected even better on the character of Kaori, who was shown to have taken the initiative in getting over her phobia of meeting Shiori to turn up at the party on her own.

Spoiler for in-game events:

(From 13:14-13:16, that was PERFECT cinematography they pulled there, bringing Kaori into the light from the shadow when she turned towards Shiori. PERFECT cinematography.)

(13:35-13:36, that slap looked painful. >_< )

And then, the fountain scene. It went just like I hoped it would; Shiori talking about her suicicde attempt, her conversation about what she hoped to do in the future, and the phrase that struck me the most, "There are still many places I want to go to and things I still want to do."

That is a phrase I've seen many times in many other similar stories to Shiori's, but the impact is in no way lessened because of that.

And finally.....the way Shiori dumped Yuuichi there,

Spoiler:

All in all......once again, KyoAni, take a perfect 10 from me.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-02-02 at 20:48.