View Single Post
Old 2011-06-14, 08:23   Link #111
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
Not entirely sure what we're supposed to talk about if the characters each have their own threads so I'll limit my post to this:

It is. Or I should say it's probably actionable. It depends what the defamation laws are like in Japan, in England it's along the lines of

The publication to a third party of an untrue statement that causes the victim to be lowered in the estimation of reasonable people

And things to that extent. Now I can't recall any time an opinion was called a lie for the purposes of defamation however if she hadn't been to the inns then she can't very well claim that it is true. Until last year what she had done would have been a crime in England - in my estimation anyway. I'm far from an expert (and I don't think anyone had been charged with that crime for about 100 years - people prefer to sue anyway).
That would be true if Satsuki's review had any incorrect facts in it. However, her review was entirely subjective. The Kissuiso being very old, "retro" and traditional is factually correct. She just manipulated the facts to sound very negative. Libel and slander can only be prosecuted when the statements made contradict the facts. When it's all grounded on opinion, at most you'll get complaints from people like Ohana. No one will successfully be convicted and fined in that case. It just doesn't hold in court.