View Single Post
Old 2007-03-25, 14:21   Link #45
tritoch

Quote:
That doesn't always help. If there is constant use of the hdds, they will malfunction very soon. The usual desktop hard drives are often not even build to handle 3 hours of sustained reading/writing from/to disk. I'ld suggest using as much RAM buffer as possible for torrent applications (minimizing disk access).
Wouldl it matter if it was an external hard drive? I was abusing my external hd. It was running for nearly 4 months of straight disk writing. Also, there are no file fragments on the external hd. whoopeee

I think my internal hd failed on me because I defragged it like 8 times that day and might have strained itself in the process. [the effects was quite good too. my old computer was running almost 70% faster. shame]

Quote:
don't understand that part. When I download bittorrent I use 800Mbyte RAM cache and disk space preallocation (utorrent).
I can configure how much ram I use, but would it still matter when I am using an external hd dedicated for downloads? I have crappy virtual memory less than 800 mb so it sucks T__T
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote