View Single Post
Old 2013-01-16, 11:45   Link #289
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
Lemme rephrase that; Should we expect the 10 YOs in 2044 to be the same as 10 YOs in 2013? I for one doubt so. The technological change is nothing relatively major; tech has been miniaturising and improving for years as of now already, that i agree. However, Vol 6 chapter 1 (which BT has translated) reveals some interesting things:

And while I doubt the current Japanese government's ability to get anything done, I'd bet that this wasn't the only measure they took to treat kids more like grown ups.

I could give a Sunder-style treatment to explore the possibilities, but this is my main point.
If that is the case, we may expect the education system to be overhauled so as to cater to the shortage of labor. However, we also must remember that it is possible for the government to bring in people from other countries (the "foreign talent" which we all know so well) to meet this shortage too. As such, it is also entirely possible that the education system might only be sped up slightly, but in the earlier years it would not be too much as there is still a limit as to how much a child can learn in a set amount of time. Furthermore, there's also the possibility that this option is available only for those kids who find that they are "not made for studying".

From a writing perspective, it is also more trouble than it is worth, as the general image of ten-year olds has not changed much over the years and as such, it is deeply ingrained into our minds. Readers of your fanfiction will feel uneasy as it is difficult to get used to, even if a logical explaination is provided.