Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 09:49   Link #692
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I thought this episode was great. It's a pity we don't know yet about how things will be for Mutta (although really, does anyone think there's any realistic chance that the main character won't pass?) but the episodes leading up to it are so well made.

With episodes like this one, I think that the slow pace of the series really shows its worth. The series could have been so much faster; we could have received this episode with Kenji and his reasons for wanting to go into space much, much earlier in the anime, and it could have been condensed into a shorter time. But I don't think I would have cared so much about it if it had. It would have been a "Kenji's a great guy, he's bored of his work for the following reasons and he wants to go into space and be free, whoosh, he has succeeded" thing, which would have made it hard to empathise with him as a character.

I like the way that Kenji's reasons for wanting to go into space were gone into in so much detail. He's the adventurous type who likes to visit new places, and to him, space was the last frontier and represented freedom and an escape from a drab but comfortable cage.

Another thing I liked was that Yuki was the one who encouraged Kenji to go into space. If it had been just him, then it would have felt partially sad having him leave his family that way. But, as we were shown in detail, going into space would be good for Kenji, something that fits with the personality that Yuki fell for, and Yuki knows it. The thing I'm curious about is how Kenji is going to feel when he has to quit being an astronaut (eventually, I mean, the way they all would have to).

The way that even Kenji dragged out the answer at the end of the ep was a bit annoying, mind. Anyway, next week is Serika! That should be interesting. They should have something good in store for us there, because we already know a bit about her motivations and background, and re-hashing it 100% would be a pain. The timing of having the other candidates before Mutta is a bit of a drag, but it does help to add suspense to whether the other candidates will pass.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote