View Single Post
Old 2008-07-22, 02:29   Link #242
ras80

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
I honestly think that all these "fansub" quality comparison sites are becoming pretty pointless as they are not "fansub" quality comparisons when everyone is only focus'd on "encoding" conparisons.

Comparing an edit or translation with 5-6 images doesn't really compare much of anything and prettyy much kills the whole point of a "fansub" comparison. All that is being compared with these images is opening karaoke styles and effects, title effects, dialogue styling, ending karaoke styling and effects, the eyecatch styles and effects, and a random sign.

this is all typesetting and encoding stuff.

As a typesetter I can say without a doubt that typesetting is one of the least important tasks in fansubbing as far as what is REALLY required to sub. I cannot speak for encoding with such absolution as I am not an encoder and do not feel like inviting an argument from them since they are experts and I am not. But I would chance to believe that it is not the big of a deal with the quality of raws present today compared to in the past where a raw needed to be "faxed" just so it was watchable.

I for one hope that his trend will change direction and more focus will be added to translation and editing.
Well they might be pointless but at least a starting point to select a good release worth to download. In my cycle I check anidb comments first (if any) then check some screen shots..Without these information what's the alternative other than downloading all releases, and actually seeing them with your own eyes? I wish there was a MASTERANIMEGURU who would answer my best release question every time, patiently..
ras80 is offline   Reply With Quote