View Single Post
Old 2013-06-28, 09:53   Link #54
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I was commenting more on the flashbacks placement within the story rather than the specific content of the flashback (Oda has, in my opinion, a bad habit of needlessly adding flashbacks to events when he could simply show the events in sequence with the rest of the story - for example, Zoro running around after he encountered the dwarves, only to flashback to mere minutes earlier when he first meets the dwarves). Flashbacks are interruptions in a story used to provide clarification (amongst other narrative reasons), but if you are going to simply flashback to an event that occurred mere seconds previous, then why not simply show the event rather than using a flashback?

The information was relevant, but the placement was off, which threw off the pacing and flow (for me).
I kinda like this placement though because, as you said, it lets Oda interrupt the same on going flow/narration pattern, which I personally find refreshing. While the momentum of the story isn't disrupted like it would be by a "real" long flashback those mini-flashbacks add a little spice when you wonder how Sanji got that information or, even if it's just as long as a page flip, how Zoro and the dwarf got accustomed.

Story-wise, I'm really looking forward how the events on Green Bit shore play out and what the Marines' reaction will be. Let's not forget that Clown has a big bounty on his head and an admiral is present. Akainu will not be very pleased by the fact that he got jacked by Doflamingo so even if they can't touch him (either because they don't know or cause he is protected by higher ups) they can still hurt him by arresting CC.

Last edited by ri0; 2013-06-28 at 10:07.